Why You Should Avoid Peanuts and Peanut Butter
When you think about peanuts or peanut butter, you probably think: quick snack, good source of protein and some healthy fats. On the surface, you’re right but the thing is, these little guys have some other features that make them not so good so, keep reading…
First and foremost, a peanut is actually not a nut at all. It is a legume. A legume is a plant or its fruit or seed in the family Fabaceae. So, in layman’s term, it is a seed. Now, let’s talk about what happens when you eat these “seeds”.
Aflatoxin is a mold that grows on peanuts. Aflatoxin-producing fungi can contaminate crops in the field at harvest and during storage. This mold is produced in warm, humid places. It is so difficult to eliminate the FDA declared it an “unavoidable contaminant.” Any kind of peanut butter or peanut is at risk. It is a small amount but long term consumption of aflatoxins has been known to lead to health problems especially in people with a sensitivity to mold.
Another unfortunate fact is that peanuts are one of the most pesticide-contaminated crops out there. Considering they grow underground and have a very soft shell, you can see why. Conventional peanuts have a very high pesticide rate and have also been noted to contain high rates of other chemicals as well.
If you have read through your GOLO Rescue Plan, you’ve probably noticed that we do not recommend the use of peanuts or peanut butter at all and these are just a few of the reasons why. If you find yourself craving the stuff, try some almond butter instead.
Visit GOLO.com to access all the weight loss tools GOLO has to offer!