Enjoy these Summer Fruit and Vegetable Options Before the Season Slips Away
With the last days of summer on the horizon, now is a great time to take steps to improve your eating habits by taking full advantage of the seasonal fruit and vegetable options currently available. In addition to being delicious, fresh fruits and vegetables are important sources of nutrients, fiber, and antioxidants.
The experts from The University of Delaware 4-H Program developed a list of nutritious fruit and vegetable options that are perfect for late summer eating.
Take a look at their top 10.
- Watermelon: Juicy, refreshing, and offers excellent hydration for the body.
- Tomatoes: Not just a topping on a burger. Tomatoes are rich in lycopene and packed with vitamins A and C.
- Bell Peppers: Not only are bell peppers very versatile (can be prepared grilled, sauteed, in soup or sauce, or even raw), but they also are low in calories.
- Corn: We all love to grill corn during the summertime, but did you know that corn has a high fiber content?
- Cantaloupe: In addition to being delicious, cantaloupes are high in vitamins A and C.
- Blueberries: Known as a superfood due to their low calories and significant health benefits. Blueberries have the highest level of antioxidants in common fruits and vegetables.
- Green Beans: Delicious and contain high levels of iron. They also are a great source of vitamins C, A, B, and K.
- Cherries: Highly nutritious and packed with vitamin C. The benefits don't stop there as cherries are high in potassium, full of fiber, and rich in antioxidants.
- Summer Squash: Great to add to any meal as it's very low in calories and rich in manganese.
- Peaches: Contain many nutrients but are most important for vitamins A and C and being low in fat and high in fiber. Not to mention they are very juicy and delicious!
There are so many great fruits and veggies out there that are satisfying and healthy. Not only that, but all 10 of these fruits and veggies listed above are easy to add to just about any meal you’re looking to make this summer.
Remember that GOLO has meal plan suggestions that can help put you on a path to a healthier lifestyle no matter the season.
Contains information provided by the University of Delaware 4H Program
Visit GOLO.com to access all the weight loss tools GOLO has to offer!