Why We Fall Off The Weight Loss Wagon
- WE SET UNREALISTIC EXPECTATIONS By setting goals that are out of our reach, we are setting ourselves up for failure. We want quick and immediate results, hoping to lose 20 pounds in one month. Then, we are disappointed when we only lose 5 pounds. It’s important to remember that healthy weight loss is 1 to 2 pounds a week. It takes time and patience when making a lifestyle change. You didn’t gain the weight in a month, therefore it makes sense that you won’t lose it that quick either. Be kind and patient with yourself!
- WE USE THE WORD DIET The word diet makes most people cringe. It is filled with all kinds of horrible images of deprivation and it implies a short-term commitment. To create a lasting change, we have to see beyond the short term and commit to a healthy lifestyle that becomes permanent. And remember, you don’t have to be perfect. Making small changes and healthier choices each day will make all the difference.
- WE DON’T MAKE OURSELVES A PRIORITY We take care of everyone else’s needs before our own. We allow other parts of our lives to derail us from making our own health and well-being a priority. It’s time to make yourself a priority and be at the top of your own to-do list. Let the people in your life know that this is really important to you. Ask for their support and let them know that you are making YOU a priority.
- WE ARE TOO HARD ON OURSELVES We feel that we should be perfect and we beat ourselves up if we veer from our healthy eating plan. We feel that one unhealthy indulgence means the whole day is ruined and we continue to make unhealthy choices thinking, “I’ll get back on track tomorrow”. Don’t let one slip-up derail your efforts. Let it go and move on. No one is perfect. Just be sure to get back on track for the next meal.
- WE WEIGH OURSELVES TOO MUCH Most people who are dieting get caught up in the numbers and they tend to weigh themselves once a day or even many times in one day. Then, if they don’t like the numbers that they see they get discouraged and give up. It is important to keep in mind that it can take some time to show changes on the scale. It’s better to focus on how you are feeling and how your clothes fit. Perhaps you have lost some inches and gained some metabolism boosting muscle. Our weight fluctuates daily, whether you are dieting or not. Weigh yourself once a week, first thing on a Friday morning without clothing on. You will see a weekly trend and will be motivated to behave yourself over the weekend.
- WE DON'T HAVE A SUPPORT SYSTEM We try to go it alone. Creating a new healthy lifestyle can be challenging and tackling it alone can make you feel isolated and lonely. A coach or a mentor can be great resources for information and accountability. You could also find a friend who is also working on creating healthy new habits to help you be accountable and support you emotionally. Don’t forget that GOLO® has a Private Facebook Group for GOLO members. This group is a great way to find motivation and inspiration from other members of our GOLO family that will push you to take back control of your body and your life. We also offer free lifestyle coaching 7 days a week at 1-800-730-4656.
- WE DON'T PLAN AHEAD We get busy and don’t make time to plan or prepare meals and snacks for the week ahead. That sets us up for grabbing whatever is convenient and many times, that is not something healthy. Planning ensures that we always have healthy choices available and takes the stress out of meal time. Cook as much food as you can for the week on Sunday and prepare meals that can be eaten for a few meals after. Have healthy snacks prepared and with you at all times, including water. For more GOLO meal prep tips and tricks, check out some of our #MealPrepMonday blog posts on our website.
We may all fall off the wagon at some point in our weight loss journey, but it’s important to remember that you are making a lifestyle change and that can be a big endeavor. So, be kind to yourself, take it one day at a time and focus on your successes. Be proud because you are taking strides towards a healthier lifestyle and creating #YourBestYou!
“8 Reasons Why You Keep Falling off the Diet Wagon.” Healthy Eating | SF Gate, healthyeating.sfgate.com/8-reasons-keep-falling-off-diet-wagon-10377.html. Accessed 19 Jan. 2022.
GOLO® is committed to providing you with the helpful tips and resources needed for personal success on a lifelong journey of health and wellness. It’s time to become #YourBestYou.
Visit GOLO.com to access all the weight loss tools GOLO has to offer!