How to Reduce Food Waste
Unfortunately, this day in age, a lot of food goes to waste. There is some good news, however. It is SUPER easy to reduce your food waste.
Here are a few tips on how to do so!
- Buy what you need- Buy loose produce so that you do not end up with more than you need. Purchase grains, nuts and spices from bulk bins so that you can measure out what you need and won’t overbuy.
- Buy funny looking produce- Many fruits and veggies are thrown away because they do not look how that particular food is “supposed” to look. In reality, there is nothing wrong with it.
- First in, first out- When you unpack groceries, move older products to the front of the fridge/freezer/pantry so that you use them up first before your new groceries.
- Monitor what you throw away- For example, are you finding that you’re throwing away half a loaf of break each week? Maybe you should consider freezing it when you buy it so that you are still able to eat it before it goes bad.
- Take stock- Pay attention to expiration dates and plan meals around those dates.
- Eat leftovers- Eat them for lunch the next day or eat them for dinner the next night!
- Use it all- When cooking, use every piece of whatever food you’re cooking with. For example, leave the skin on cucumber and potatoes and use broccoli stems along with florets.
- Repurpose scraps- Use vegetable and meat scraps in homemade stocks and use citrus fruit rinds to add flavor to other meals.
- Check your fridge- Make sure that the door has a tight seal and that the proper temperature is being used to prevent spoiling.
- Donate what you don’t use- Food pantries and shelters could always use more food!
- Can it- Can your fruits and vegetables so that they will last longer and you can eat them out of season!
- Pickle it- Another way to make fruits and vegetables last longer.
- Compost- If you hate your potato skins and don’t want to use your old veggies for stock, start a compost pile in the backyard or under your sink. These are just some, but not all, tips to help you reduce your food waste.
GOLO® is committed to providing you with the helpful tips and resources needed for personal success on a lifelong journey of health and wellness. It’s time to become #YourBestYou.
Visit GOLO.com to access all the health, wellness & weight loss tools GOLO has to offer!
1-800-730-GOLO (4656) firstname.lastname@example.org