NOW IN SEASON: Enjoy these classic fall fruits and vegetables
Great-tasting meals start with farm-fresh produce, and now is the perfect time to take advantage of the abundance of seasonal fall fruits and vegetables. With so many fresh and wholesome options to consider, the nutrition experts from The University of Delaware 4-H Program have compiled a shortlist of classic fall fruits and vegetables that should be on your shopping list:
- Apples. Nutrient-dense and filled with vitamins, minerals, and dietary fiber. Apples are also a heart-healthy fruit that can help reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Broccoli. Green is good and so versatile, high in fiber, Vitamin C, and potassium.
- Pumpkin. A great source of Vitamin A and Vitamin C, and can be enjoyed sweet or savory in so many dishes. You can even eat their seeds as a great snack!
- Sweet Potato. High in fiber and a good source of potassium which can help reduce the risk of high blood pressure and stroke.
- Asian Pear. These pears stay firm and are full of Vitamin C and Vitamin K that can help the immune system, bone metabolism, and regulate blood clotting.
- Brussel Sprouts. A great source of Vitamins B, C, and K, the sulforaphane that gives brussels sprouts their unique flavor can also help to lower cancer risks.
- Lima Beans. An excellent source of Vitamin B6, they are also rich in manganese which can help to boost bone strength and the body’s ability to process fats and carbohydrates.
- Celery. Highly nutritious and packed with Vitamin C. It also contains high levels of fiber, which can help to keep bowel movements regular and aid in weight maintenance.
- Turnips. A great source of vitamins K, A, and C and minerals such as folate, copper, and manganese. Both its roots and leafy greens can be eaten.
- Cabbage. Contains quantities of fiber and iron that can help keep the digestive tract and colon in a healthy condition.
Remember, when you purchase produce in season, it’s healthier, has a richer flavor, and tends to be more affordable.
Count on GOLO for meal plan suggestions that can help put you on a path to a healthier lifestyle no matter the season.
Contains information provided by the University of Delaware 4H Program
Visit GOLO.com to access all the weight loss tools GOLO has to offer!