Today, we want to emphasize safe exercise. I have been guilty of pushing my limits a bit too far when exercising and have injured myself as a result. Our advice to you: honor your body, respect yourself and know your limits. There is a huge difference between feeling the burn of your workout and feeling pain. One is good, the other not so much. In order to help you avoid injury while you’re pushing towards your health and wellness goals, we want to provide you with some helpful tips to ensure your safety when exercising. Here are some useful tips to having both a safe and effective workout according to Harvard Health Publications.
- Be sure to have an allotted time to warm up and cool down. At least 10 minutes each.
- Begin slow and build up your activity gradually.
- Be aware that working out too hard or too often can cause damage to ligaments, joints, muscles and tendons. Make sure you have a rest day to let your body rejuvenate.
- HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE! Remember water is the essence of life! Learn to love it.
- A little research will go a long way. Knowing how to do a certain exercise correctly can save injury, especially for strength training with weights. Everyone was a beginner at one point. No worries!
- Muscle soreness is of course expected when you exercise. If you notice that you have pain that lasts longer than two weeks consult with your doctor.