Recipe Ideas for Your Backyard Cookout this Summer!July 1, 2021
We recently teamed up with professional chef and cookbook author Cricket Azima to develop a series of recipes inspired by our GOLO metabolic meal plan.
Since it’s summertime, Cricket focused on recipes that take advantage of the range of fresh seasonal ingredients that are more abundant this time of year, like tomatoes, red peppers, avocados, and cilantro. She also “leaned in” on nutritious proteins like shrimp and turkey.
The goal was to create fun and tasty recipes that families and friends can enjoy as part of their backyard cookout plans this summer. After considering several ideas, Cricket locked in on three crowd-pleasing and nutritious recipes that celebrate the tastes of the summer season.
Recipe #1: Grilled Southwest Turkey Burger Sliders (makes 4 sliders)
- 12 oz ground turkey
- 1/8 cup finely diced onion
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ clove garlic, peeled and minced
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- ½ tbs ground cumin
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 4 slider-sized buns
- In a large bowl, mix ground turkey, onion, egg, cilantro, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Form into 4 patties.
- Cook the patties on a medium skillet over medium heat or grill.
- Serve patties on slider-sized buns. Top each burger with sliced tomato.
Recipe #2: Grilled Shrimp Tacos (makes 4 servings)
- 12oz. medium to large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, washed
- 4 corn tortillas, warmed
- 2 cups avocado, mashed
- Salt, to taste
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 4 tsp Tabasco sauce, optional
- 1 ½ tbsp soy sauce
- Juice from ½ lime
- In a medium bowl, combine cup of coconut milk, Tabasco sauce (optional), soy sauce, and lime juice. Mix well. Add shrimp and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours (or overnight!), mixing occasionally.
- If using wooden skewers, soak in warm water while shrimp marinates.
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Remove shrimp from the marinade and reserve marinade for basting while grilling. Alternating shrimp and tomatoes, thread onto the skewers.
- Place the skewers on grill. Cook for 3-4 minutes, basting with the reserved marinade, and then flip the skewers. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, basting again with the marinade, until the shrimp are cooked through. Remove from grill and place aside.
- Remove shrimp and tomatoes from skewers. Remove and discard tails. Place shrimp and tomatoes in a bowl, set aside.
- Evenly divide avocado onto 4 tortillas. Place shrimp and tomatoes on top of avocado and serve! Remaining shrimp and tomatoes may be enjoyed on the side.
Recipe #3: Red Pepper Deviled Eggs (makes 4 servings)
- 4 hardboiled eggs
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp hot sauce (optional)
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1/3 cup scallions
- Salt and Pepper
- ½ cup finely diced bell pepper
- Peel and halve eggs and spoon yolks into a small bowl.
- Mash yolks with olive oil, hot sauce (if using), mustard, and scallions.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Refill egg whites with the yolk mixture.
- Sprinkle 1 tbs of finely diced red bell pepper on each egg half.
Summer cooking is all about enjoying time with family and friends, and we hope you have fun making and eating these GOLO-inspired recipes.
*The recipes above were developed by Cricket Azima as part of a paid sponsorship with GOLO.*