Kick off your Memorial Day weekend with these fun tips from GOLO, including our summer song playlist!May 26, 2021
Summer has finally arrived and GOLO is here to help you keep your weight loss goals on track! Most people think that the winter holidays are the toughest time of year to stay dedicated to your weight loss plan. However, it’s even more important to stay focused on achieving your goals in the summer. This is when the shorts, tank tops, and bathing suits start making their appearance, and we can no longer hide underneath our bulky layers of clothes we wore all winter. There are also all sorts of food temptations that come with summer fun. That’s why GOLO is here to help you stay on track and support you at every step along your weight loss journey. Now, let’s begin the summer fun!
GOLO’s tips and recipes for hosting a Memorial Day cookout
Opening your home, and back yard, to family and friends for a celebratory BBQ is tons of fun! The good news is, grilling gives you the opportunity to make delicious foods that are also healthy and GOLO-friendly. If you’re looking for a little cookout inspiration on Memorial Day, here’s some of our favorite BBQ recipes for you to enjoy:
Grilled Balsamic Herb Pork Tenderloin [Click here for recipe]
Pesto Grilled Shrimp [Click here for recipe]
Golo Grilled Pizza [Click here for recipe]
Looking to pair these tasty recipes with some complementary starters and desserts? Here’s what we recommend:
Asian Slaw with Sesame Ginger Vinaigrette [Click here for recipe]
Grilled Mushroom Skewers [Click here for recipe]
Summer Crab Salad [Click here for recipe]
No Mayo Potato Salad [Click here for recipe]
Dark Chocolate Avocado Frozen Yogurt [Click here for recipe]
Strawberry Mango Chia Popsicles [Click here for recipe]
Cinnamon Ice Cream [Click here for recipe]
With these recipes your summer BBQ will be a big hit!
GOLO’s Summertime Fun Playlist, created by GOLO team members
Speaking of hits—what goes better with a Memorial Day cookout than great summer-themed tunes?! The GOLO staff sat down and put together the perfect summertime playlist for you. Enjoy our playlist and remember that dancing is great exercise—it will help boost weight loss, relieve stress, and helps strengthen your heart, bones and muscles. Dancing outside will also expose you to some fresh air, sunlight and vitamin D. So dance away!
- I’ll Follow the Sun—The Beatles
- The Summer Side of Life—Gordon Lightfoot
- Play that Funky Music—Wild Cherry
- Jessie’s Girl—Rick Springfield
- Vacation—The Go Go’s
- Ice, Ice Baby—Vanilla Ice
- Mamma Mia—ABBA
- Good Vibrations—The Beach Boys
- Sweat (a La La Long)—Inner Circle
- Hey Ya—Outkast
- Shake Your Body—Michael Jackson
- Uptown Funk—Bruno Mars
- Boogie Shoes—K.C and the Sunshine Band
- Twist and Shout—The Beatles
- You Can Call Me Al—Paul Simon
- Footloose—Kenny Loggins
- Don’t Stop Till You Get Enough—Michael Jackson
- Walking on Sunshine—Katrina and the Waves
- Summertime—DJ Jazzy & The Fresh Prince
Staying home and enjoying a relaxing, low-key weekend instead? Here’s some quick and easy health tips for you to consider
There’s nothing wrong with staying home and enjoying a peaceful and stress-free Memorial Day weekend. If you plan to stay home and relax, try to incorporate a few of these tips over the weekend to keep pushing your health and wellness goals forward.
Spend some time outside. Even if you take an extra long walk with the dog, a brisk stroll around the neighborhood, or opt for a jog in the park—make sure to do some outdoor activities
Drink a little extra water. Drinking more water will not only help you lose weight, it also provides other health benefits. Infusing your water with some fresh fruit, berries or citrus will add a refreshing taste of summer! If you’re looking for the perfect water bottle, try the brand new GOLO 25 ounce Infusion Water bottle that’s BPA free! [Click here to purchase]
- Try your best to stick with balanced meals. You may be tempted to stray from your healthy routine over the holiday weekend. While you can treat yourself a little, try your hardest to eat balanced, healthy meals most of the weekend. Never forget why you are losing weight and getting healthier—use that as fuel to stay on track!
Have fun! Use the holiday weekend to decompress, clear your mind and recharge, but don’t forget to have some fun as well. Play games, do a puzzle, enjoy some crafts, or even catch up on your favorite TV shows. If you find yourself watching more TV that usual, challenge yourself to do light-to-moderate exercise during a few commercial breaks. You can walk in place, do some jumping jacks, squats, push-ups or simply walk around the house until the commercials are over. If you do this, you’ll be surprised by just how much exercise you mixed in over a few days without even realizing it!
- Take advantage of your exclusive myGOLO resources. The long weekend is the perfect time to login to (or activate) your myGOLO membership and explore the benefits. You can browse through weight loss tips, recipes, fitness ideas and more. You can also join our private GOLO Facebook Group page and connect with GOLO coaches and other GOLO members who are on the same journey you are.
From all of us at GOLO—have a save, healthy and fun Memorial Day weekend!