How to Make Homemade Hand Sanitizer
Can’t find any hand sanitizer in the stores? Did you know you can make your own with just a few simple ingredients?
We pulled these instructions from a recent Healthline.com article:
Dr. Rishi Desai, chief medical officer of Osmosis, and a former epidemic intelligence service officer in the division of viral diseases at the CDC, says that the hand sanitizer recipe below will kill 99.9 percent of germs after 60 seconds.
What you’ll need:
- 3/4 cup of isopropyl or rubbing alcohol (99%)*
- 1/4 cup of aloe vera gel (to help keep your hands smooth and to counteract the harshness of alcohol)
- 10 drops of essential oil, such as lavender oil, or you can use lemon juice instead
*99% alcohol might be difficult to find, you can use a lower percentage however, it won’t be as potent
- Pour all ingredients into a bowl, ideally one with a pouring spout like a glass measuring container.
- Mix with a spoon and then beat with a whisk to turn the sanitizer into a gel.
- Pour the ingredients into an empty bottle for easy use, and label it “hand sanitizer.”
If you are making hand sanitizer at home, adhere to these tips:
- Make the hand sanitizer in a clean space. Wipe down counter tops with a diluted bleach solution beforehand.
- Wash your hands thoroughly before making the hand sanitizer.
- To mix, use a clean spoon and whisk. Wash these items thoroughly before using them.
- Make sure the alcohol used for the hand sanitizer is not diluted.
- Mix all the ingredients thoroughly until they are well blended.
- Do not touch the mixture with your hands until it is ready for use.
When you apply the hand sanitizer, make sure you rub your hands until your hands are dry (30-60 seconds). It can take at least 60 seconds, and sometimes longer, for hand sanitizer to kill most germs.
REFERENCE: To read more, including the formula for a larger batch of sanitizer from the World Health Organization (WHO) read the entire article here: https://www.healthline.com/health/how-to-make-hand-sanitizer#how-to-use
GOLO® is committed to providing you with the helpful tips and resources needed for personal success on a lifelong journey of health and wellness. It’s time to become #YourBestYou.
Visit GOLO.com to access all the weight loss tools GOLO has to offer!