How to Deal With "That Time of The Month"
If you are a woman you know the feeling- when it’s that time of the month and there’s cramping, bloating and intense cravings. It’s not good - especially when you are on a weight loss journey and what you crave is bad for you.
This happens because during menstruation, the body is under stress. Stress fuels cortisol production, which stimulates our appetite. Also, PMS can drop our serotonin levels, which makes us seek out processed, salt and sugar filled foods. Unbeknownst to a lot of women, there are a lot of things that you can do to try to beat the cravings and prevent yourself from getting way off track!
1. Maintain magnesium intake- It will help you sleep better, reduces stress and greatly diminishes chocolate cravings. Taking a magnesium supplement regularly has also been shown to help reduce cramps.
2. Make sure to drink a lot of water- We tend to retain water during menstruation so drinking water will help, and the less bloating you have, the better you will feel.
3. Practice stress management- stress is a trigger for emotional eating, and we all know we are VERY emotional during this time of month!
4. Exercise- It may be the last thing you feel like doing, but it is one of the best things you can do. It will get your mind of cravings and can minimize cramps. Gentle yoga is a great idea – check out this link to learn what you should and shouldn’t attempt during this time of the month: https://www.yogapoint.com/yoga-poses/yoga-for-menstruation.htm
5. Avoid sugary foods- It may seem impossible, but the hormonal changes that you experience during this time make your blood sugar unstable which is why you crave sugar. Eating sugar just adds to the fluctuations, which can make you even more irritable. (If that is even possible.)
GOLO® is committed to providing you with the helpful tips and resources needed for personal success on a lifelong journey of health and wellness. It’s time to become #YourBestYou.
Stemers, Regina. “How to Stop Period Cravings | What to Eat + 5 Yoga Postures.” Horizon Clinics, 19 July 2021, horizonclinics.org/how-to-stop-period-cravings
Visit GOLO.com to access all the weight loss tools GOLO has to offer!
GOLO is not intended to diagnose, treat, prevent or cure any illness or disease. This blog provides general information and discussion about health and wellness related subjects. The words and other content provided in this blog, and in any linked materials, are not intended and should not be construed as medical advice. GOLO encourages you to consult a doctor before making any health changes, especially any changes related to a specific diagnosis or condition. All opinions and articles linked to and from this page are those of the individuals concerned and do not necessarily represent those of GOLO, LLC or its employees. No responsibility can be accepted for any action you take or refrain from taking as a result of viewing this page. GOLO will not be liable for any errors, losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information. These terms and conditions are subject to change without notice.