Homemade Sourdough Bread
Sourdough is a great healthy bread option. However, it requires more work than we would normally suggest – we like simple recipes! But recently we have received requests for a GOLO approved version so here you go!
Sourdough bread uses a starter instead of traditional yeast to rise. So, if you don’t already have one, you will need to make it. You can find directions on how to do so here- https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sourdough-starter-recipe
Once you have made the starter you will need:
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup fresh starter
- ¼ cup coconut oil - melted
- ¼ cup raw honey
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- Dutch oven – for baking
- In a mixing bowl, add the sourdough starter, water and whole wheat flour. Stir ingredients to combine.
- Next, add the all-purpose flour, salt, honey and coconut oil to your bowl and mix to combine into a dough. (It is best to use a stand mixer with a dough hook but this is not required). The dough should not feel sticky and should be pulling away from the sides of the bowl as it mixes. If it is sticky, add a little more flour, ¼ a cup at a time until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Grease a Dutch oven with coconut oil (cast iron works best) and place the dough in it. Cover with a dishtowel and let it sit overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. When it is preheated, place the entire Dutch oven with the lid on into the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Then, remove the top, and bake an additional 15 mins.
- Remove from oven and allow bread to cool before slicing to serve.
GOLO® is committed to providing you with the helpful tips and resources needed for personal success on a lifelong journey of health and wellness. It’s time to become #YourBestYou.
Visit GOLO.com to access all the weight loss tools GOLO has to offer!