GOLO’s Healthy and Tasty Way to Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day
Sticking to your weight loss plan during holidays isn’t easy, especially on St. Patrick’s Day. But you don’t need the luck of the Irish to celebrate in a healthy way. All you need is GOLO!
We’ve created a few healthy St. Patrick’s Day recipes for you to try and some suggested and at-home workout ideas that will keep you moving. If you’re interested in adding a little healthy fun to your St. Patrick’s Day celebration, look no further!
First, kick-off the holiday with a super festive and refreshing Green Smoothie for breakfast. This tasty and nutritious blend of fresh ginger, spinach, banana, chia seeds, and pineapple is the perfect way to start your day.
Makes: 1 serving
Each serving contains: 1 protein, 1 carbohydrate, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
Serving suggestion: Serve with a boiled egg for a quick and complete meal!
Green Smoothie Ingredients
- 1 ½ cups coconut water
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/4 cup banana
- 1/4 cup pineapple
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp fresh ginger
- Add all the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add ice to your desired consistency.
If you’re looking to enjoy St. Patrick’s Day while sticking to your GOLO for Life Plan, then you're in luck. Our healthy fisherman's pie recipe is so delicious, you'll feel like you are dining in a Dublin pub!
Makes: 4 servings
Each serving contains: 2 proteins, 1 carbohydrate, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
Serving suggestion: Serve with 1 cup steamed vegetables for a complete meal.
Fisherman's Pie Ingredients
- 1 lb potatoes, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 4 tsp butter, separated
- Sea salt & pepper
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 sprig fresh thyme or ¼ tsp dried thyme
- 6 oz cod fillet
- 3 oz shrimp
- 2 Tbsp plain (all-purpose) flour
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups frozen peas
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place potatoes in a pan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and boil for about 15 minutes or until fork tender. Drain and mash with 2 tsp butter, season with salt & pepper. Set aside.
- Heat milk, bay leaf, garlic, and thyme in a saucepan over medium heat. Reduce to medium-low and let simmer, stirring constantly to infuse flavors for about 3 minutes. Be careful not to burn the milk.
- Reduce heat to low and add cod to pan. Poach fish for about 4 minutes, then add shrimp. Cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until shrimp is pink. Remove from heat. Remove & discard bay leaf and thyme sprig (if using). Do not discard milk. You will be using it later.
- Place cod, shrimp, and peas into the bottom of an 8X8 baking dish.
- Melt the remaining 2 tsp butter in the saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and heat through, stirring constantly for about 1 minute. Slowly add in the reserved milk, whisking continuously. Sauce will begin to thicken after another 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in half of the grated cheese and a pinch of black pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the fish in the baking dish. Top with the mashed potatoes and use a fork to spread out. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top and bake for 15-20 minutes. (Or until cheese is melted and golden.)
- Divide into 4 equal servings and enjoy!
Cabbage Soup Recipe
GOLO’s cabbage soup is an authentic and hearty way to enjoy St. Patrick’s day.
Makes: 6 servings
Each serving contains: 0 proteins, 0 carb, 2 veg, 0 fat
Serving suggestion: Serve with 6 oz. grilled chicken (or any other protein choice) and 1 slice of bread topped with 1 tsp. butter for a complete meal!
- 1 ½ cups onion, chopped
- 1 ½ cups carrots, chopped
- 1 ½ cups celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup red peppers, chopped
- 1 (14 oz) can tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 6 cups cabbage, chopped
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot sauté the carrots, onions, celery and garlic in the olive oil on medium heat until fragrant.
- Add the can of tomatoes and red peppers to the pot and allow that that simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Pour the vegetable broth and water into the pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat slightly to medium-low heat and add the cabbage, salt and pepper. Cook for about 40-45 minutes.
- During the last 10 minutes of cooking add the parsley and basil.
- Divide soup into 6 equal servings.
Have an active St. Patrick's Day!
Make time to get a quick and effective workout in before taking part in other St. Patrick’s Day activities. Whether it’s a leisurely stroll around the neighborhood or a quick jog in the park, be sure to find time to get up and get moving.If you prefer to exercise from home, you can get a full-body workout in just 5-10 minutes with the AeroTrainer exercise platform by GOLO. The AeroTrainer is perfect for anyone’s fitness level.
Visit GOLO.com to access all the weight loss tools GOLO has to offer!